PTS searching for Panagora's next CEO
by Michael Stambaugh | 25 Aug 2023
About Panagora Group
Panagora Group is a woman-owned and employee-owned social enterprise that has established a remarkable reputation for tackling development challenges through innovative and evidence-based solutions. With a team of seasoned development professionals, Panagora combines the efficacy and results orientation of larger organizations with the agility and creativity of a small business. Since its inception in 2011, Panagora has experienced substantial growth and currently boasts over 180 employees. Their mission revolves around promoting evidence-based, sustainable solutions to enhance health, equity, and well-being for disadvantaged populations worldwide. They are deeply committed to high-impact, sustainable international development consulting, with a focus on global health, private-sector solutions, and fostering a culture of continuous learning and adaptation.
Panagora's impressive track record is reflected in its numerous cutting-edge monitoring, evaluation, and learning (MEL) prime awards, which USAID has recognized. Their dedication to excellence has garnered them accolades, including the USAID Small Business of the Year for FY2018 and multiple appearances on Inc. Magazine's list of the "5,000 Fastest-Growing Private Companies in America." Led by their visionary President, CEO, and Founder, Betsy Bassan, Panagora is driven by core values of passion, innovation, and excellence, always striving to make their work sustainable and bring positive change to communities worldwide. They are actively seeking partnerships with organizations and individuals to further their mission and contribute to creating a better world.
What sets Panagora apart is its diverse range of services and experts, spanning global health, international development, and learning. They offer both short-term and long-term technical assistance in-country or at their Washington, D.C. base through institutional support mechanisms. With its proven track record and dedicated team, Panagora is poised to continue significantly impacting global development challenges and seeks a visionary CEO to lead the charge into the future.
At Panagora Group, the culture is focused on the mission of delivering solutions in health, development, and learning with a strong focus on highly participatory approaches. Their core values of Passion, Excellence, Innovation, and Sustainability underpin every aspect of their work and guide decision-making. They are passionate about the work they do, caring deeply about the well-being of individuals and communities they serve, and inspiring collegiality within the team. Innovation is at the heart of what they do, as they pioneer creativity, bridge people, ideas, and technology, and remain agile and responsive in an ever-changing world. Above all else, their culture of learning and ethical partnerships drives their commitment to advancing inclusion and participation in all aspects of work.
Betsy Bassan is a true visionary and the driving force behind Panagora Group, which she founded in 2011. As the President and CEO of this woman- and employee-owned small business, Betsy brings over 30 years of experience as a dynamic innovator in the international development field. Under her leadership, Panagora has flourished into a thriving organization with 180 employees working in 55 countries, making a tangible impact on global health, private sector development, the environment, democracy, governance, and more. Betsy's unwavering dedication to excellence and her track record of success has earned her numerous accolades, including being position as a prominent industry leader.
Named the 2021 Ernst & Young Entrepreneur of the Year for the Mid-Atlantic region and a 2020 Enterprising Woman of the Year Awardee.
A shared mission-driven focus unites the team at Panagora Group to make the world a better place for all. Every day, they come to work with a sense of purpose, driven by their core belief that positive change is achievable through innovative solutions and collective effort. Their dedication to high-impact, sustainable international development consulting propels them to continuously seek new ways to improve the well-being of women, men, and children globally. They embrace a virtuous cycle of knowledge stewardship, collaborative learning, and application of evidence to heighten and accelerate positive health and development outcomes. This mission-driven focus fuels their passion to care deeply about the work, ensures they lead with excellence to deliver the best results, and motivates them to remain agile and responsive. As they work towards achieving the vision of a more equitable and healthier world, they forge strong partnerships and remain committed to ethical practices that advance inclusion and empower local communities to thrive. At Panagora, they are not just a team; they are a family of passionate, dedicated professionals who share a common purpose and strive to make a lasting impact on the lives of those they serve.
Panagora Group, a leading social enterprise specializing in global health, international development, and learning services, is seeking a dynamic and visionary Chief Executive Officer (CEO) to succeed the esteemed founder and CEO, Betsy Bassan. The incumbent CEO will continue to build upon Betsy's legacy, providing strategic leadership to drive the organization towards greater impact and sustainable growth, allowing Betsy to take up the position of Board Chair of Panagora Group. This is an exciting opportunity to lead a team of seasoned development professionals and contribute to making a positive difference in the lives of disadvantaged populations worldwide.
As Board Chair, Betsy will collaborate with the CEO in defining Panagora’s long-term vision and strategic plans and supporting their implementation through targeted new business support; external client and industry engagement; reinforcing signature technical and management approaches.
Key PrioritiesStrategy: Lead ideation, planning, and implementation of business strategy.
Operations: Oversee operations of all divisions, and ensure corporate business systems are maintained and upgraded to meet ongoing operational and growth requirements, including excellence in our core health and international development services.
Financial: Ensure the company's financial integrity and that our financial strategy supports our growth goals, including ESOP value.
Growth and business development: Ensure the company has solid business development strategies, systems, and practices to support our growth plans.
People: Facilitate recruitment and professional development practices that are in line with our values, DEI plan, and strategic growth goals.
Culture: Focus on deepening our corporate culture of employee ownership and prioritize the implementation of our new DEI plan, which is informed by ownership principles.
Key Responsibilities Strategy and vision
- Develop and lead the implementation of a comprehensive strategic annual plan and facilitate company-wide bi-annual strategic planning.
- Define a compelling vision for Panagora's future based on a comprehensive analysis of the business and markets we serve. Communicate the vision across all levels of the organization and to our key stakeholders.
- Execute the go-to-market strategy and consider all strategic alternatives for creating value and capturing business opportunities.
- Regularly report to and engage with the board on business performance, opportunities, potential risks, and strategic direction.
- Ensure that our ownership culture drives employee satisfaction, engagement, and high performance. Operational Oversight • Lead and facilitate growth, supported by the continued development of appropriate infrastructure, processes, and operational efficiencies to maximize current financial performance; maintain the highest standard of quality, corporate integrity, and compliance; and support the overall growth strategy. • Develop and achieve annual operating plans, ensuring that the company generates consistent and sustainable growth in sales, profits, and cash flow that satisfy our key stakeholders and increase the value of our ESOP. Financial Oversight • Provide day-to-day leadership, profit & loss management of the company across all functions, and a vision for near and long-term value creation. • Identify initiatives and programs to continually improve and enhance profitability based on a thorough understanding of the cost structure and business drivers. Growth and Business Development
- Continually evaluate our markets, services, and products to maintain competitive advantage and keep our focus on services that provide the greatest return.
- Provide strategic leadership and leadership of the acquisitions process, evaluation, and integration.
- Build strong relationships with strategic clients, partners, and key stakeholders, advancing company interests.
People and Culture
- Cultivate and deepen our employee ownership culture to ensure we preserve our founding values and continue to build a culture of belonging.
- Support the rollout of our emerging DEI plan and work with the DEI subcommittee and other relevant teams to implement it.
- Provide visible leadership and facilitate transparency, e.g., by maintaining regular huddles with each employee level to maintain ongoing awareness of all activities, successes, challenges, and any needed resources or support.
- Foster transparency and knowledge sharing by regularly communicating key corporate messages and executive-level updates across the company.
- Articulate and model a culture of honest, transparent, and values-rich executive leadership and ensure it is also modeled at all levels.
- Increasing share value for Panagora’s employee-owners.
- Continual creative adaptation to changing customer requirements, market challenges, and financial obligations.
- Fully developed executive leadership team and pipeline within five years, primed for future team transitions and corporate growth.
- Continuity over time as a fully employee-owned company.
- Continuity over time in Panagora’s culture and values.
Precision Talent Solutions (PTS) is proud to partner with Panagora Group in conducting a retained search for their next CEO. We would like to invite all interested candidates to apply for this prestigious leadership position. To express your interest or inquire further about the opportunity, please apply here or reach out to Michael Stambaugh (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Nevenka Popovic (nevenka@pts. careers) to learn more.
At PTS, we have designed a comprehensive and rigorous interview and screening process to identify the most qualified candidates for the CEO role at Panagora Group. Our proprietary process includes cognition and personality assessments, video interviews, and thorough reference and background checks. This multifaceted approach allows us to gain valuable insights into each candidate's skills, experience, and leadership style, ensuring the selection of the ideal candidate who aligns with Panagora's mission and values. As part of the application process, we encourage all interested candidates to be prepared to participate in our interview and screening stages. These assessments are not only designed to evaluate qualifications but also to provide a holistic understanding of each candidate's potential to excel in this significant leadership role. We value each applicant's time and will ensure confidentiality throughout the process.
Panagora Group is an equal opportunity employer, committed to creating an inclusive and diverse work environment. They do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws. Their commitment to diversity and fairness extends to all aspects of the hiring process, and we are dedicated to providing equal opportunities for all qualified candidates.
If you are a dynamic and visionary leader with a passion for global development and the expertise to drive positive change, we invite you to consider this exceptional opportunity to lead Panagora Group into a new era of success and impact. We look forward to receiving your applications and engaging in this transformative journey together.